The Diocese of Arundel and Brighton
The Diocese currently has 53 primary schools and 11 secondary phase schools.
In terms of maintained schools, there are 40 voluntary aided (VA) primary schools and 7 VA secondary schools. There are also 11 primary schools and 3 secondary schools which are academies under the Xavier Catholic Education Trust, and two primary schools and one secondary school which are academies under the Bosco Catholic Education Trust. In addition, there is a further secondary school on the border of the Diocese (All Hallows) that is under the direction of Portsmouth Diocese.
The Diocese also contains 16 independent schools and one independent non-maintained special school.
Collectively, these schools educate over 34,600 children, through the excellent work of approximately 3,000 teachers as well as dedicated support staff. They also rely on the commitment and skills of nearly 1,000 school governors.
The location of these schools, lists of schools by type and, for maintained schools and academies, the latest Ofsted and Diocesan 'Section 48' inspection reports can be found in the Find a School section of the website. Individual parishes and deaneries can be viewed here.
The Diocesan Education Service aims to support the schools of the Diocese of Arundel and Brighton through:
- the provision of quality information, training, advice and guidance to headteachers and governors.
- working closely with heads and governors to develop policies and services that reflect schools' real needs
- maintaining effective partnerships with other dioceses, the CES and the LAs.
- helping schools to recruit and retain senior managers, teachers and governors.
- helping schools to monitor and develop their religious education provision.
- supporting schools in difficulty.
- supporting newly appointed heads by induction and mentoring.
- providing a 'Section 48' school inspection service.
- encouraging productive collaboration between schools, parishes and diocesan agencies.
The Diocesan Education Service is based at: St Philip Howard Centre (formerly DABCEC) at 4 Southgate Drive, Crawley, West Sussex RH10 6RP.
To locate the St Philip Howard Centre on a map click here